Archive

May 18th, 2016

With end of school year comes new beginnings

To the Editor:
In a couple of days we will be wishing the class of 2016 all the best as they graduate from GSL High School. This day is always a special one because it is the pinnacle of a student’s journey through school. At this time, many doors are opened and many choices need to be made about one’s future … and the results of these choices could be in place for the rest of their lives.

A short list of some of the best eats in Glencoe

To the Editor:
Many don’t think of our little community as having a wide variety of culinary options, so I put together a short list of some of the best eats around town.
These are some of my favorites and where they are available as follows:
Blueberry muffin — Go For It Gas
Sugar donut and coffee - Gert and Erma’s.
Pretzels and cheese — Glencoe Pool (seasonal).
Mexican food — Tacqueria Del Buen Pastor Food Truck and Restaurant.
Beef commercial — Bump’s Family Restaurant.

Most new wealth comes from agriculture

To the Editor:
I have written this same information over the past 50 years that 70 percent of all new wealth in the United States is generated from agriculture and paid at the point of sale at the market place. In case you wonder where the other 30 percent of new wealth creation comes from, the other raw materials, it is the mining of ores, oil, gas, timber, fishing, etc.  

Reasons for voting against omnibus tax bill

To the Editor:
Earlier this week, the omnibus tax bill (HF 3931) was passed by the Senate DFL majority. I, along with other senate Republicans, voted against this bill for a variety of reasons outlined as follows:
1. It spends $200 million and does not provide any appreciable tax relief for taxpayers in Minnesota, like reducing or repealing the income tax on Social Security.
2.  It proposes to collect $200 million more per year in taxes from Minnesotans for their online purchases.

County board hears update on jail project

The demolition part of McLeod County’s jail expansion project is nearly complete, the County Board heard Tuesday morning at its meeting, held in Lester Prairie.
Sam Lauer of Contegrity, the construction management company, told the board that the separation of the old jail from the courthouse is nearly complete.
“We should have two complete separate buildings from the roof deck down by the end of today,” Lauer said. “By the end of next week, we should be cleaned up and ready to go with the new building.”

City to take advantage of Judd Avenue project to improve storm drainage

The Glencoe City Council voted to move forward with a new storm drain on Judd Avenue during its regular meeting Monday night.
The vote came after a presentation from Short Elliot Hendrickson (SEH) Engineer Justin Black. McLeod County is currently working on Judd Avenue as part of its jail expansion project, giving the city an opportunity to change the storm water drain in that area.
The city recently used a camera to view the current drainage system and what would be the best course of action.

County submits comments on buffer strip map

McLeod County barely got its comments in on time on the proposed buffer strip map, Commissioner Paul Wright reported at Tuesday’s county board meeting.
Wright said the request for comments was channeled through the Soil and Water Conservation District office, so the county received late notification.
Wright also said that several errors were found on the proposed McLeod County map.

Click It or Ticket seat belt enforcement starts May 23

Three seconds — that’s all it takes to put on a seat belt. For 91 motorists in 2015, not taking those three seconds cost them their lives. Wearing your seat belt is not optional, it’s the law.

GSL summer food program starts June 6

The Glencoe-Silver Lake School District is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. GSL invites children to have a free meal.
Meals will be provided to all children birth to 18 without charge and will meet nutritional standards established by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Medical examiner: 196 deaths in 2015

The McLeod County Board of Commissioners received the 2015 medical examiner’s report at its Tuesday meeting.
The report showed that there was a total of 196 deaths in McLeod County in 2015.
Of those, 167 were deaths of natural causes, of which 63 were registered hospice patients.