warning: file_exists(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/vhosts/glencoenews.com/httpdocs/../ad_/ad_cache_.inc) is not within the allowed path(s): (/var/www/vhosts/glencoenews.com/httpdocs/:/tmp/) in /var/www/vhosts/glencoenews.com/httpdocs/sites/all/modules/ad/adserve.inc on line 160.

House fire displaces rural Glencoe family

Charlie and Linda Becker were displaced from their rural Glencoe home as the result of a fire Wednesday, Dec. 14.
Glencoe Fire Chief Ron Grack said his department, as well as the New Auburn Fire Department, were dispatched to the home at 41670 170th Street, Sibley County, in the early morning hours Wednesday.
Grack said the fire appeared to have started near the stove in the kitchen.
“I thought we had a pretty good knockdown on it,” said Grack, and the fire departments left the scene within a couple of hours.
However, the fire had apparently spread to the ceiling, and subsequently to the roof of the rambler-style home.
“Apparently, it had been smoldering up there,” said Grack.
The departments were called back out at about 10:30 a.m. Wednesday, and remained on the scene until about 4:30 p.m. Grack said the wind picked up as the fire spread to the roof, and that contributed to the spread.
The departments also had to contend with below-zero temperatures.
Between fire, smoke and water damage, the house and its contents are considered a total loss, said Grack.
Grack said the departments poured about 10,000 gallons of water on the fire.
The Red Cross is assisting the family with housing and other needs, Grack added.